May 3, 2011

The Bride That Never Wanted to Be

It's been a year since I got engaged and we've done zero planning so far. Sure, I turned into a suburban housewife the moment I entered our apartment. That transformation, somehow, skipped the bride phase and the having a dream wedding bit.

I'll be honest: I never saw myself getting married, I really didn't. I cannot for the life of me remember considering marriage let alone imagining my own wedding. In college, we had Marriage and Theology as a subject. Yes, a whole three-unit subject dedicated on what it means to be Catholic and married. I did pretty badly. While most of the class had their wedding destinations and budgets ready, I could hardly name three kinds of flowers most commonly used in weddings. Suffice to say, I barely passed the subject. I was the only one who almost failed, actually.

 The Bride

In some way, I wish I wanted to get married. Planning a wedding and all the annoying little details like who's seated with whom makes me want to abandon the effort altogether. I still cannot identify wedding flowers, cuts of wedding gowns, nor could I comprehend the fact that we have to shell out thousands of pesos for seemingly simple things (kamusta naman ang make-up artist na 10k). There are tickets to be bought and suppliers to be booked. There are gowns to be chosen and photographers to reserve.



Maybe I don't get it.

Maybe I was one of the women who were born without a dream wedding in mind. From what I gather, weddings are supposed to be a celebration of a couple's commitnment to each other. Said couple would make their vows in front of their friends and family; it's about sharing an important milestone in the couple's life. It is because of this reason that I believe that such a beautiful poignant event could stand alone in itself without so much props or fireworks. I really don't understand why there is the need to smother everything with overworked details and trappings of motiffs and flowers.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! Admit it, you're now a wedding savant (somehow). And you're Google-fu are amazing! :)

    Gawa ka na ng wedsite (wedding website) niyo sa mywedding.com or weddingannouncer.com! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Savant talaga? Hahaha! I still can't believe am getting married! :D :D :D

    Am trying to build one on TheKnot.com but I'll check out those sites. :)

    ReplyDelete