Jul 7, 2009

Flying to the Almost Top of the World

The road from Manila to Stockholm is an epic journey. The path from Point A to POint B is ladden with countless perils, Euroadiks, and intense guides that could make or break your travel. True, you can prepare for such events but when the adik spirit moves, it turns your world upside down.

The Ninoy Aquino International Airport was stirring from sleep when I arrived. With lines already forming, the counters of airlines opened a bit late. Since I arrived really really early for my flight, I was third in line and waited a full three hours to board the flight to Hong Kong. It was strange that the line at customs and immigration was almost non-existent. The longest I stayed in line was at the immigration when the man asked me why I was going to Sweden.

Immigration officer: Why are you going to Sweden?
The Adik: To visit my boyfriend and meet his parents.
Immigration Officer: You're boyfriend isn't Filipino?! You don't like Filipino men, huh?
The Adik: Er...it has nothing to do with race but everything to do with love.
Immigration Officer lets The Adik pass.

So...Hong Kong. The connecting flight from Hong Kong to Helsinki was to leave an hour after the plane from Manila landed. Seeing that time was of the essence, our guide proceeded to brisk walk guide us from one wing of the airport to another. We wove through crowds, ran on moving walkways, and rode the train. Then, as a cherry on top of a very sweaty morning, we had to run up an escalator as a last challenge. At this point, my sanity breaks and I just start laughing out loud at how insane the situation was. When we got to the gate and fell in line, the guide asked if she was too fast.

The flight from Hong Kong to Helsinki took 10 hours and a cross over the International Date Line. While there would have been good anecdotes from this flight, I just alternated from eating and sleeping most of the time. That and trying to position myself to get more legroom since I was seated between tow burly men. At the back of the plane. Yeah, it was that remarkable. And then, Helsinki happened.

To be continued...

4 comments: